Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Vernal Equinox - Orange-Lemon Chiffon Cake!



I have started a family tradition of making seasonal cakes to celebrate the day of the solstice or equinox. For spring I decided to make an Orange-Lemon Chiffon Cake. I decided on this recipe after reading about someone's grandmother who always made one for spring - the ingredients include a lot of eggs (which are a representation of spring) and feature oranges/lemons which are so delicious and in season about this time of year.

I learned about Chiffon Cakes which are 'A moist and tender, light and airy cake that has the richness of a butter cake but the springy texture of a sponge cake' it it relies on the whipped egg whites for its leavening (and some baking powder). It was fun to make, and turned out delicious. It made a lot of cake, and I enjoyed sharing it with friends.

Worth the mess? Yes.



No comments:

Post a Comment